One of the most asked questions by homemakers or home cooks when using silicone bakeware is whether to put them directly into the oven or not?
This concern is understandable because everyone knows that items made from plastic in general and silicone, in particular, are pretty sensitive to high temperatures.
As a result, they can easily deform or melt if accidentally exposed to direct fire or excessive heat.
And for silicone cooking utensils, we have to be even more careful because it directly affects human health by affecting food quality. So, to answer the question “Do you put silicone bakeware directly on the oven rack?”,
The following article will help you have a clearer view of that.
- Do You Put Silicone Bakeware Directly On The Oven Rack?
- How To Know If Your Silicone Bakeware Is Qualified Enough For Use In The Oven?
- Is There Any Chance The Silicone Bakeware That Is Suitable For Use In The Oven Will Melt Or Deteriorate?
- What Can Happen If You Put In The Oven The Silicone Bakeware That Is Not Suitable For The Oven?
- Things About Silicone Bakeware You May Want To Know
- Helpful Tips For Safe And Better Use Of Silicone Bakeware In Cooking
- Frequently Asked Questions
Do You Put Silicone Bakeware Directly On The Oven Rack?
Yes, you can put the silicone bakeware directly on the oven rack if you are sure that the silicone bakeware is safe and suitable for use in the oven.
Although kitchen utensils made from silicone are of high quality and have passed many forms of verified standard testing to meet consumer needs, they have many different levels of quality depending on the manufacturer and the product category.
For that reason, not all silicone utensils are suitable for use in the oven.
And suppose you use an unknown or poor quality silicone bakeware, which is unsuitable for the oven. In that case, the consequences may be melting that silicone bakeware, adversely affecting the food quality, and more seriously, damage your oven.
How To Know If Your Silicone Bakeware Is Qualified Enough For Use In The Oven?
To know if your silicone bakeware is qualified enough for use in the oven, you should check the product quality by carefully reading the instructions for use and the construction of your silicone bakeware.
If you are still unsure of what is listed on the product packaging, contact the product manufacturer to find out.
Is There Any Chance The Silicone Bakeware That Is Suitable For Use In The Oven Will Melt Or Deteriorate?
Yes. And that is when the temperatures in the oven go over 500 degrees Fahrenheit (260 degrees Celsius).
But don’t worry too much about accidentally ruining your meal, as most cooking temperatures for recipes call for less than 400 degrees Fahrenheit (204 degrees Celsius).
What Can Happen If You Put In The Oven The Silicone Bakeware That Is Not Suitable For The Oven?
- Your silicone bakeware will melt down if the temperature exceeds 500 degrees Fahrenheit (260 degrees Celsius). And you know what happens when silicone utensils get burned to melt in your house, and an awful odor will fill up all of your places and will not leave in hours. Not to mention the effort you have to put on to get rid of the mess in the oven.
- Your food gets ruined, and all the effort you put in for hours is all blown away.
- Your oven gets damaged. This problem can be the worst because fixing or replacing the old oven with a new one is not cheap.
Things About Silicone Bakeware You May Want To Know
Silicone is a synthetic polymer made from silicon, oxygen, some have carbon in them, and in some cases, the manufacturer put in some other filter ingredients.
Nowadays, silicone-based items are optimally formulated to create various products used for multiple purposes in all industries.
In the food industry, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) also approved in 1979 that silicone bakeware is qualified for food cooking and suitable for use in the oven.
It is also highly heat resistant, can be used in the freezer, microwave, dishwasher, and is safe to use in the oven at temperatures up to 428 – 500 degrees Fahrenheit (220 – 260 degrees Celsius).
For that reason, synthetic silicone cooking pans, pots, and grills are a better choice than other plastic, aluminum, etc.
Because they have toughness, durability, are lightweight, have no rusting or staining, are easy to clean, and can be anti-adhesion.
Moreover, high-quality silicone utensils do not cause unpleasant odors or adversely affect human health.
Popular silicone kitchen utensils are cupcake molds, muffin pans, bread molds, pans, cutting boards, etc. Of course, each type of use will have its limits on temperature and storage.
However, you can easily find them right on the product packaging.
Helpful Tips For Safe And Better Use Of Silicone Bakeware In Cooking
- Purchase the product from reliable and reputable brands only.
- Avoid buying silicone bakeware with strange ingredients or only a tiny amount of silicone. Check the product quality for each purpose of use before purchasing and cooking.
- Don’t put it under direct fire.
- Discard the product immediately after the expiry date or any signs of damage.
- Check the correct cooking temperature of the product.
- Avoid using knife scissors or objects with sharp corners or edges to work with silicone bakeware.
- Always clean your silicone bakeware thoroughly with soap.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is silicone bakeware better than the metal one?
Yes, if your silicone bakeware is the excellent quality one. Many customers said that cakes were baked faster with a lower temperature in the oven when using silicone bakeware instead of metal.
Plus, it was easier for the baker to move the cakes from the silicone mold. However, the low-quality silicone bakeware will give out a bad odor, and you will need centuries to remove the cake.
- Does silicone bakeware smell or stain food during baking?
No. Not with the good quality silicone bakeware.
For all items directly related to your health, such as cooking utensils, medicine, or household cleaning supplies, you can invest in the best quality products to ensure performance, product durability, and long-term health protection.
- How do we know our silicone bakeware is food grade with the naked eye?
Food-grade silicone bakeware does not contain other additives, which degrade its quality and may cause harm to the user.
You can easily see with the naked eye when twisting or stretching your silicone tool. If the stretch turns white, it is not safe to cook. Otherwise, it is food grade.
- How to thoroughly clean your silicone bakeware?
Do not clean your silicone cookware just by wiping it with a wet towel or wet napkin after each use.
Instead, you need to thoroughly wash it with dishwashing liquid and a sponge to make sure you can get rid of all the potential harms or bacteria.
The issue of hygiene and safety in food processing with silicone products is often of great concern to many people. Fortunately, you can easily control and avoid common problems by thoroughly researching the product before purchasing and using it.
Hopefully, the above article has provided you with the necessary information to answer the question confidently, “Do you put silicone bakeware directly on the oven rack?”
If you find the article useful for you and your loved ones, please share it with those who need it. Good luck with your cooking.